Monday, April 27, 2009

Sarah's Portrait

This is my first finished oil! Hooray! It only took me hmmm...6 months but it was worth it. And you have to figure I only worked on it once a week for 3 hours and 2 months of the 6 were stagnant.



This piece I worked under Jean Grapp and was introduced a different approach to oil. Her work is amazing and she is successful with this system. Having completed the piece I find that for ME, I prefer to work in a different way. I studied four years in Maryland under Alan Fink. His method of underpainting for composition and value on canvas prior to color really resonates with me. I am better able to focus all my attention on proportions and value in the beginning. When I am working in color I want to keep all my focus on the way light effects each hue rather than on top of this wondering if it is dark enough or light enough and if the positive/negative space is accurate. I will do a workup on that process once I have completed my next oil...until then here is a sample of this technique.

Process:Underdrawing

Process:Transfer of Underdrawing

Process:Diluted Color Wash of Walnut Oil Paint and Turpentine

Process: Primarily Walnut Oil and Liquin Medium

Process:Last Stage of Adding Highlights

9 comments:

Sarah said...

You are amazing, Stacey!! I cannot even begin to comprehend this kind of talent!!

heather said...

it looks so like her!! my first reaction was "it looks like a photo!" good job!

Dawn said...

I love it. You are one talented girl!

Rhett and Camie said...

I Loved that Picture you did!! You are inspiring. Hope you are all doing well - we miss you.

The Long Family said...

Stace - that is so beautiful!! You are so stinking talented!!! Honestly, how much do youcharge? I would LOVE a portrait of Brady!

Shannon said...

I love how you captured those beautiful eyes. You are truly gifted.

Amy said...

Wow, I think you just convinced me that I would rather pay someone to paint than paint myself---that is A LOT of work! You go girl, it looks amazing

Heather K said...

You blow me away! Your work is amazing. Your daughters are darling!! When do you guys move back to Utah? :)

Adrienne R. said...

Yay! Your first oil! I always remember you saying you wanted to try it. I need to start painting again.